Sunday, March 11, 2012

Persy -- The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

I think this may actually be the very first book I've read that was published in 2012. Unless you count Fracture, which I actually read in 2011 before it'd been released yet (sorry, I succumbed to the urge to gloat about being an early reviewer). The Fault In Our Stars is certainly an interesting way to start off the year (even though it's...March).

Hazel Grace Lancaster has cancer, but is, miraculously, still alive. She's lived almost five years longer than they expected, but she knows she doesn't have a lot of time left. So she's decided to "Not Be A Grenade" by keeping away from other people so she doesn't hurt them when she kicks the bucket.

But then she meets a new kid at her support group, Augustus Waters, and she begins to live again. They exchange books and long talks and finally end up going overseas together on one last adventure before the end.

It really is amazing.

First of all, John Green can write. I mean, holy crap, man. And his characters! Not just Hazel and Gus, but all the characters in this book are amazing. Mr. Green is so spectacular that he made me like a contemperary cancer book, and I usually like neither contemporary nor cancerous novels.

But the thing about it is that I looooved it while reading it, but once I'd put it down, I didn't really want to pick it up again. Maybe it's because it's pretty depressing, or maybe it's just that genre (because it's kind of the same way with other books in that genre). But this doesn't mean I don't reccommend it. I would even give this book to a past version of myself, because I definitely think it's worth reading, I just don't think I'll ever read it again.

The are some very interesting things in this book. I don't want to get into details because of spoilers, but the characters discuss philosophy and stuff without making it sound all stuffy and boring.

Also it was pretty dang funny. I love characters who can be kind of miserable, but still hilarious and not miserable in an incredibly miserable way. If you know what I mean.

So maybe this isn't making much sense, and I apologize. I just have a lot of very complex and mixed thoughts about The Fault In Our Stars. Basically, I think everyone should at least give it a shot, because it will definitely get you thinking.

--Persy

You might like this if you: like contemporary fiction; don't normally like cancer books but are looking for something you aren't normally into; love good characters; happen to be a Rene Magritte fan; or if you're just an awesome Nerdfighter (in which case, you've probably already read it).

No comments:

Post a Comment