Monday, April 9, 2012

Arty -- Wizard At Work by Vivian Vande Velde




























Happy Easter, everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. I did. And I have candaaay. I guess that's obvious, though.

As you might guess from the cover, Wizard At Work is a book for younger kids. But that doesn't make it absolutely awesome. Actually, you could say it makes it more awesome, because you have license to throw 'suspension of disbelief' out the window and just have fun with stuff.

During winter, the wizard runs a school. But when summer comes, he has time to relax - do some gardening, sleep on his hammock, just unwind. At least, that's what he thinks. Until a witch shows up and blesses him out for assuming too much, based on appearances.

And thus starts his journey.

It's really more of a collection of stories - stories about the adventures the wizard has during what was supposed to be his summer break. It's a fast-paced book, and every story seems to take just a few minutes. That's a good thing and a bad thing - they're so good that you just wish they'd go on, and on, and on, and on...

The wizard is an awesome MC (though I was a leetle disappointed to never learn his name - I guess that would have taken some of the charm away). He's a young man, but he generally goes around wearing an old-man disguise, since people don't take young wizards quite as seriously. Obviously considerate and decent yet possessing a sarcastic wit, the wizard is ridiculously fun to read.

I'm pretty sure his adventures kept getting better as they went on. My personal favorite was the last - about princess failures and golden cucumbers - but all of them were just hilarious. And fun. And addicting. I grumbled every time I had to put the book down because I was having so much fun.

My only complaint is that we never got to see the wizard while he was working in his school. That would have been awesome. I guess I'll just hope for a sequel.

So... this is a pretty short review. But there's not a whole lot to say about Wizard At Work. It's adorable and addictive. Read it.

POSTSCRIPT: Do we have any rabid Hunger Games fans out there? Yes? Probably? Well, you're not in luck. But if you just mildly liked the books - like myself - then you should definitely see the Hunger Games movie. I saw it this weekend and was thoroughly impressed - to the point where I would pay to go see it again. It's very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment