Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday Scrolls -- May Review!

Hey guys! This is Persy talking. Ready for our review of May?

I read a total of 17 books (7 of which were manga/graphic novels) and 4704 pages! My best count this year! Which is good, 'cause I know I'm going to do awful in June due to my being out of the country for half of the month.

Best May Book: It's a tie between World War Z by Max Brooks and The One And Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. World War Z is a work of genius, intense and terrifying and wonderfully written. 'Ivan' is adorable, charming, and wonderfully written. I love them both in completely different ways.

Honorable Mention: Also a tie. Volume 1 of I Am Here! by Ema Toyama is amazing, as is A Benjamin Franklin Reader compiled and annotated by Walter Isaacson.

Worst May Book: Rogue by Rachel Vincent. Stupid, stupid chars. Unfortunately, the plot is very good, so I can't label this book as a complete failure.

Dishonorable Mention: I suppose it would be the first volume of Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and Masayuki Tayuchi (it's very meh).

Like I said, I'll be gone for half the month of June, so my book and page count will be considerably lower than this month. But after that, it's RAMFAP!!

--Persy




Hola, chaps.  Arty here.  I actually got a lot of reading done in May - 32 books, and I'm rather proud of myself.  Though three of those were manga and two were comic books/graphic novels.  Still, that's pretty good.

Guess what, guys!  I got a Very Favorites Bookshelf!  It's awesome and prettyful.  I painted it green and black and silvery-gold.  So technically it's a Loki As A Slytherin-Style Very Favorites Bookshelf.  But for brevity's sake I'll just call it Jon.  It's got room for aaaall my Very Favorites, as well as my collections of Shakespeare, Diana Wynne Jones, and Robin Hood. (Completely random?  Yes.  Completely awesome?  HECK YES.)

Best May Book: Genius Wars by Catherine Jinks has to take this, just for breaking my heart and stomping on the pieces.  Not a lot of books make me feel so dang much, and they always end up on my Very Favorites Bookshelf.

Honorable Mention: Tie between Swear To Howdy by Wendelin Van Draanen and D'Aulaire's Book of Norse Myths by Ingri and Edgar d'Aulaire.  Swear To Howdy is sweet and funny and a little bit agonizing.  Norse Myths is just FUN.  I mean, stop stampeding towards Greek and Roman tales for entertainment and read about Asgard.  You will not go back.

Worst May Book:  Probably The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig.  It wasn't bad - none of my May books were really bad at all - but it just wasn't overly interesting.  Which makes me feel bad, because it's technically a biography.  But still.  I can't wait till I finish up all my history books...

Dishonorable Mention: ...Probably Escape From Warsaw by Ian Serraillier, which is... another school book.  Gosh.  Maybe I should stop counting these.

Here's to another great month of June reading!

-Arty

No comments:

Post a Comment