Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April Review!

Hola, everyone - Arty here, starting off April's review!

I did even better in April than I did in March, at 25 books, six of which were manga. 

Best April Book: While I liked most of the books in April, not a whole lot of them really jumped out of me as terrific.  So the best book was probably The Scorch Trials by James Dashner, the second book in the popular dystopian Maze Runner trilogy.  The Maze Runner was interesting but not thrilling.  But The Scorch Trials was really, really good.  It even managed to horrify me at a few points, which is not an easy thing to do.  And the ending was a beautiful cliffhanger.  This is how you write the middle book in a trilogy.

Honorable Mention: That would probably have to be A Tale Dark and Grimm, by Adam Gidwitz.  This is an absolutely terrific little book, retelling a bunch of the Grimm fairytales as if Hansel and Gretel were the main characters throughout.  It's way better than it sounds.  Read it.  It's not long.

Worst April Book: Why, what do you know, another book from my history curriculum makes the Worst list.  Roll Of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor is a classic, which is probably why I disliked it.  I never quite understood the characters, and the latter half of the book was one big massive depression-fest.  Especially the ending.  I'm all for realism, but not for books that end without giving you a little hope.

Dishonorable Mention: A Kiss In Time by Alex Flinn.  After the mild disappointment with Beastly, I still expected more from this retelling of Sleeping Beauty.  Instead, I just cared less and less and less as the last pages draaaaaaaagged on.  It started great, but ended with a whimper.

Pretty good stuff - can't wait to see about May!

Hey, it's Persy's turn. Yaaay. I'm a little tired right now.
I only read 13 books in April (four were manga/graphic novels), but my page count adds up to 3,589, more than March, so I'm okay with it. Lots of books were pretty good, but really only one was made of pure awesome (see below).

Best April Book: House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. Wowza. READ IT, Y'ALL (don't let it's popularity deter you).

Honorable Mention: Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, Hana-Kimi Vol. 3 by Hisaya Nakajo, and A Well-Timed Enchantment by Vivian Vande Velde.

Worst April Book: No books were really awful this month, but I suppose Wallflower Vol. 6 by Tomoko Hayakawa was a bit of a disappointment.

Dishonorable Mention: ...I don't have one (cue shock and awe) *is shocked and awed*

Looking forward to May (and school ending)!

--Persy

No comments:

Post a Comment